[Irtalk] Fwd: [WEB4LIB] Job: Linux Sys Admin at UIC Library
hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 20:24:12 SAST 2015
*Another example job advert!*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Private Bag X5036
Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Sandusky <rsandusky at gmail.com>
Date: 27 January 2015 at 18:29
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Job: Linux Sys Admin at UIC Library
To: WEB4LIB at listserv.nd.edu
Linux Systems Administrator for Research, Education and Big Data
Apply your craft to support higher education and cutting-edge
research! Complete our energetic and diverse team supporting students
and faculty at the University of Illinois at Chicago and across the
Lead our Sys Admin team and mentor staff and graduate students. Design
robust and highly reliable infrastructure for terabytes of unique
digital research material. Looking for an enjoyable and rewarding work
culture in the heart of a great city? The UIC Library makes a
difference in the lives of our students.
Apply at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=48948
As the Library’s senior systems administrator, the Linux Systems
Administrator contributes to the overall development of the Library’s
web and digital library infrastructure and will help plan, select, and
implement technologies to support the Library’s goal of anytime
anywhere access to UIC’s scholarly information. This person will lead
the unit in providing excellent customer service to UIC and University
The Desktop and Server Administration Unit is part of the Information
Technology Division of the UIC University Library. The IT division
supports the student, library patron, and staff technology needs at
five library locations in Chicago (2 libraries), Peoria, Rockford, and
* Lead the Desktop and Server Administration Unit and supervise the
work of the Assistant Systems Administrator, graduate assistant(s),
and / or student assistant(s). Provide technical leadership and
* Deploy and maintain desktop computing systems in a mixed environment
(Windows, Mac, Linux).
* Monitor, troubleshoot, and resolve system issues with servers,
networks, and storage.
* Lead software upgrade and hardware deployment projects.
* Maintain and monitor system access controls and maintain system
security in accordance with University policies.
* Liaise with campus IT organizations and governance bodies.
* Maintain knowledge of new and emerging technologies and techniques
to propose and recommend new methods to improve manageability and
* Install, patch, and maintain server, operating systems, services and
application packages(e.g., Linux, Apache, MySQL, DSpace).
1. Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
1.1 - progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related
1.2 - college coursework in Information Technology (IT), IT
Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the
following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
1.2.1 - 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one year
1.2.2 - 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two years
2. Bachelor’s Degree in a technology field (e.g., Computer Science;
3. Demonstrated experience as a Linux Systems Administrator
Minimum salary: $65,000
See more and apply at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=48948
To unsubscribe: http://bit.ly/web4lib
Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the IRTalk