[Irtalk] Emerging patterns of successful scholarly cyber infrastructure projects - Geoff Bilder, Director of Strategic Initiatives at CrossRef

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:58:46 SAST 2015

If we funded and ran physical infrastructure the way we fund and run
scholarly cyberinfrastructure, the lights and water would go out every
grant cycle and we would have architects bidding to build quonsets huts
with the promise that the client would get railways and electrical grids as
side-effects. *Funders gather their top researchers to plot the disruption
of scholarly communication and to frame the glorious future of e-science,
yet these meetings routinely descend into jeremiads about lack of archive
space, ineffective or absent identifier systems and scandalously scanty
metadata. The sublime capitulates to the mundane.*

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=232622