[Irtalk] Beyond Beall's List: We need a better understanding of predatory publishing without overstating its size and danger

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Fri Apr 10 12:26:03 SAST 2015

Great article on the role of librarians.
As librarians, we need to understand the hallmarks and methods of predatory publishers for several reasons. Most obviously, we must help researchers avoid becoming prey and help readers recognize low-quality journals. In addition, we need to counteract the misconceptions and alarmism that stymie the acceptance of OA.
Beyond Beall's List: We need a better understanding of predatory publishing without overstating its size and danger.<http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2015/03/18/beyond-bealls-list-predatory-publishers/>
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2015/03/18/beyond-bealls-list-predatory-publishers/

Ina Smith
SciELO Planning Manager
Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf)

Switchboard: +27 12 349 6600
Tel: +27 12 349 6641
Fax: +27 (0) 86 576 9512
Email: ina at assaf.org.za<mailto:ina at assaf.org.za>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D07386.824B9DF0]

1st Floor Block A, The Woods, 41 De Havilland Crescent, Persequor Park
Meiring Naudé Road, Lynnwood 0020, Pretoria, South Africa.

PO Box 72135, Lynnwood Ridge 0040, Pretoria, South Africa.

Website: www.assaf.org.za<http://www.assaf.org.za/>