[Irtalk] Negotiations between Elsevier and universities failed

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 21:14:43 SAST 2014

Negotiations between the Dutch universities and publishing company Elsevier
on subscription fees and Open Access have ground to a halt. In line with
the policy pursued by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, the
universities want academic publications to be freely accessible. To that
end, agreements will have to be made with the publishers.

*The proposal presented by Elsevier last week totally fails to address this
inevitable change.* The universities hope that Elsevier will submit an
amended proposal. ‘From now on we will inform our researchers about the
consequences of this deadlock’, says Gerard Meijer, president of Radboud
University Nijmegen and chief negotiator on behalf of the VSNU.

http://www.vsnu.nl/news/newsitem/11-negotiations-between-elsevier-and-universities-failed.html