[Irtalk] Impact of Social Sciences – Academic citation practices need to be modernized so that all references are digital and lead to full texts.

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue May 27 17:44:52 SAST 2014

Researchers and academics spend a lot of time documenting the sources of
the ideas, methods and evidence they have drawn on in their own writings.
But Patrick Dunleavy writes that our existing citation and referencing
practices are now woefully out of date and no longer fit for purpose.* The
whole scholarly purpose of citing sources has changed around us, but our
conventions have not recognized the change nor adapted yet. Below he sets
out what’s wrong with what we do now, and then sketches a radical agenda
for starting afresh.*

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/05/21/academic-citation-practices-need-to-be-modernized/