[Irtalk] OERs and MOOCs: untangling “open” | @Czernie

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:14:32 SAST 2014

During Open Education Week, we at UCT were not the only ones taking the
opportunity to discuss the differences and overlaps between MOOCs and OERs.
Using a matrix I have previously showed the open content, online learning
and MOOCs in terms of a range of dimensions including access, licensing
etc. In our talk on OERs and MOOCs  my colleague Cheryl Hodgkinson-Williams
and I focused on bringing together the idea of degrees of openness as well
as the continuum of formal-informal along which MOOCs lie as a type of
online learning.

http://lauraczerniewicz.co.za/2014/03/oers-moocs-untangling-open/