[Irtalk] Why librarians can’t ignore data anymore

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Thu Mar 13 21:48:24 SAST 2014

Do you want to stay current on new trends and learn more about data management planning and sharing? Then attend the DCC Workshop to be hosted at CPUT on 27 March. Read more: http://conferences.sun.ac.za/index.php/liasa/index/schedConfs/current
Also read this blog entry: http://kevinthelibrarian.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/why-librarians-cant-ignore-data-anymore/

<http://kevinthelibrarian.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/why-librarians-cant-ignore-data-anymore/>It’s’ here, and I have to say it came quicker than I expected – the first big stick for researchers – the PLoS data sharing policy<http://www.plosone.org/static/policies#sharing>. What this policy means for researchers is that if they refuse to share the data accompanying their publication – they can’t publish in PLoS. It also means that if they get published, but then hide their data after the fact they can have their publication retracted. This is an example of a really firm hand in an area where there hasn’t been one before. My first thought when I read this: what an amazing opportunity for librarians! It’s no secret that researchers have mixed feelings about the policy; some are angry <http://drugmonkey.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/plos-is-letting-the-inmates-run-the-asylum-and-this-will-kill-them/> and frustrated<http://rxnm.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/fan-fiction/>, others see the light<http://www.homolog.us/blogs/blog/2014/03/10/plos-requires-pis-cut-deposit-finger-submission/?utm_content=buffer28299&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer> and understand that this has been a long time coming. What librarians can do is ease the pain a little bit and try as best they can to reduce the burden on these researchers and provide them with options that will make this transition as easy as possible. While PLoS is the only publisher providing this big stick for data sharing, I expect Nature, Science and others will be following suit before long. Not to mention the various federal policies from the NSF, NIH, and now finally Canada with the Tri-Council <http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/about-au_sujet/publications/digital_scholarship_consultation_e.pdf> looking to capitalize on Big Data.

The integrity and confidentiality of this email is governed by these terms / Hierdie terme bepaal die integriteit en vertroulikheid van hierdie epos. http://www.sun.ac.za/emaildisclaimer