[Irtalk] Academic publishers draft and release their own Open Access licences | TechnoLlama

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 00:05:34 SAST 2014

Concluding, I cannot see the reason for the existence of the STM licences
other than to taint the open access licensing environment by generating
more licence complexity and more confusion on the academic authors. I am
not concerned about the knowledgeable people when it comes to copyright and
licensing, they will never use the STM suite. I am more concerned about the
average author who really has no time to think about the wider implications
of their licensing decisions, and will simply sign any agreement that has
the term “open” in it, because in that way they will comply with the OA
requirements imposed by funding bodies.

*We must denounce the STM licences for what they are, good old FUD.*

http://www.technollama.co.uk/academic-publishers-draft-and-release-their-own-open-access-licences