[Irtalk] honours projects at UCT computer science for 2014

Hussein Suleman hussein at cs.uct.ac.za
Tue Feb 25 17:41:14 SAST 2014

hi folks

i am about to start the process of writing up descriptions for computer
science honours projects at UCT for 2014, and (as always) wonder if
anyone is interested in collaborative projects...

if you have a suitably-sized research problem related to information
retrieval, ICT for development or digital libraries (or some other area
that i am interested in) that might benefit from 2-3 students (typically
very competent programmers) working on it for 3-4 months, please contact
me by email by 2 MARCH to talk about it.

basically, we do all the work - all you specify is the problem and
possibly steer the students if necessary. right now all we need is short
(500 words? which i write anyway) descriptions of the projects. the
students then select their projects off a very long list and if a
particular project gets selected then we start work in earnest
(otherwise we try again next year or some such thing).

many projects from previous years have been published, often
internationally, for example:
* 2011 low-bandwidth video conferencing @SAICSIT2012
* 2011 Bonolo (generic file-based DL) @ICADL2012
* 2010 Copying Archives (evaluation of LOCKSS openness, project
suggested by SUN) @TPDL2011
* 2009 Bushman Online Dictionary (visual dictionary, project for UCT
Fine Arts) @ICADL2010
* 2009 CALJAX (AJAX-based repository) @SAICSIT2010
* 2008 Wordbank (Web-based language preservation) @ZAWWW2009

it seems i can only specify 3 projects - i can put together 3 projects
internally, but would prefer to work with others. i can also steer a
conversation with other members of our staff if there is a more
appropriate supervisor e.g., in areas related to graphics, AI,
databases, etc. and this has worked successfully many times in the past.

for some ideas on the breadth and depth of our past projects, visit the
honours project archive linked off http://pubs.cs.uct.ac.za/

if you have any questions, feel free to shout

ttfn,
----hussein