[Irtalk] Fwd: [WEB4LIB] New Vacancy Senior Web Programmer - Qatar National Library
hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 10:23:01 SAST 2014
*An example of the programming skills required for supporting open
scholarly communication systems.*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Private Bag X5036
Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sandra K. Montesinos <smontesinos at qf.org.qa>
Date: 11 August 2014 13:48
Subject: [WEB4LIB] New Vacancy Senior Web Programmer - Qatar National
To: WEB4LIB at listserv.nd.edu
Qatar National Library has a new opening for a Senior Web Programmer
position, if interested please send me your CV to Sandra Montesinos
smontesinos at qf.org.qa
This position is vital to lead the web development team to develop Qatar
National Library digital portals. The Lead Web Programmer will also play a
lead role in the integration of all digitized content into one user centred
access platform. This position will be working to produce innovative and
dynamic back end development of new websites as well as maintaining
existing websites. This position also participates in strategic planning
activities of the LIT Directorate.
*Key Result Areas*
· Lead web development projects and collaborate with the team
· Co-ordinate with external vendor in design and development,
testing and the implementation of new library portals
· Work with external stakeholders to develop and deploy
upgrade/migration plans for existing content management system
· Design, implement and deploy web based applications and websites
from initial design and architecture through development, test and
· Provide technical expertise in front and back end web
development. Support web infrastructure by providing end-user support,
documentation, applications maintenance, product evaluation, back end
development and internal management tools
· Work with site architects to develop and document functional
specifications based on requirements gathered from stakeholders. Support
the implementation of life-cycle
· Develop the back end of open source repositories
· Develop web applications using one or more of the following
programming languages: PHP, Ruby, Python, Java,
· Strong customer service attitude; enthusiasm for working in a
collaborative team-oriented environment
· Develop applications to build the interface with focus on
· Design new concepts and test the product
· Troubleshoot existing scripts and suggest enhancements.
· Document scripts, forms and procedures and train staff on how to
maintain and use them.
· Work with teams to manage system administration, web/application
server administration and database server administration, maintaining
up-to-date system documentation and managing code in a version-control
· Keep abreast of developments, trends and issues in areas of
· Participate in team work and committees as needed
· Familiarize, understand and implement QF health, safety, and
environment policy, procedures, legal regulations and objectives applicable
to areas of responsibility.
· Ensures coordination with HSE department in implementing,
monitoring and reviewing of HSE performance to ensure work under his/her
control is performed in a safe, healthy and environmentally sound manner.
· This position includes, but is not limited to, other duties as
required and defined by the scope, purpose, and spirit of the institution
and are not always indicative of the title and grade of the position
· BSC in Computer Science or Software engineering with minimum 4
years’ experience in software development
· Experience working with Open Source software; experience with
version control, test-driven development, and continuous integration
· Knowledge of UNIX, Linux, Apache and experience working with
ORACLE SPARC servers with Solaris OS
· Sound working experience of open source digital repositories like
Fedora, DSpace or Islandora
· Working experience of Solr, Lucien or other indexing system
· Working with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgresql.
· Working experience of developing Drupal back-end and Front-end
· Experience with metadata and digital object transformation and
· Experience with digital library standards, such as, Dublin Core,
MARC, METS, EAD, and OAI-PMH.
· Experience with software development in an academic library,
National Library or higher education setting.
· Expertise in SQL programming for the web and in developing web
forms. Work samples will be required.
· Experience with database and system design concepts.
· Experience of integrating multimedia on the web.
· Excellent testing and troubleshooting capabilities.
· Excellent time management and verbal and written communication
· Knowledge of Google Maps APIs.
For more information about Qatar National Library or Qatar Foundation,
please feel free to visit www.qnl.qa or www.qf.org.qa
This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential and
intended for the use of individual or entity to which it is addressed. If
you have received this email in error, please delete it immediately and
inform the sender. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use,
disclose, copy or distribute this email or any attachments included. The
contents of the emails including any attachments may be subjected to
copyrights law, In such case the contents may not be copied, adapted,
distributed or transmitted without the consent of the copyright owner.
To unsubscribe: http://bit.ly/web4lib
Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Irtalk