[Irtalk] Voices From The Past Reflecting On The Future (Number 3): Melvil Dewey & Our Book Fetish - The Ubiquitous Librarian - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 11:14:58 SAST 2014

“Most librarians are inclined to make a book something sacred. But we ought
to recognize and employ it as a tool to be used not a fetish to be
worshipped. Perhaps the library of fifty years from now will have outgrown
the present book and relegated it to the museum with the older inscriptions
on clay.* Our great function is to inform or to inspire, or to please; to
give to the public in the quickest and cheapest way information,
inspiration, and recreation on the highest plane. If a better way than the
books is found we should use it.”*

http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/theubiquitouslibrarian/2014/02/19/voices-from-the-past-reflecting-on-the-future-number-3-melvil-dewey-our-book-fetish/