[Irtalk] bjoern.brembs.blog » Conflicts of interest even for ‘good’ scholarly publishers

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 19:59:43 SAST 2014

These recent events have triggered the suspicion that maybe the entire
concept of scholarly publishers is antiquated, irrespective of how open,
innovative or non-profit the publisher is. In addition to the inevitable
conflicts of interest, none of the publishers are seriously considering all
three of our intellectual outputs: code, data and texts. They are only
after our text summaries, i.e., our papers. *The result being, in an age of
ever sinking costs of making digital objects public, that we overpay
publishers by so much, that no money is left for our institutional
infrastructure serving our three output modalities.*

http://bjoern.brembs.net/2014/04/should-we-stop-supporting-open-access-publishers/