[Irtalk] Best open source tools for libraries | opensource.com

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 17:04:55 SAST 2014

There was a time when working in the library I found it very frustrating
(as many librarians do) that there were so few options for software that
actually did what I needed. In libraries we're so used to there being this
vendor=software model. Where one vendor controls a product and while there
might be other similar products, they too are controlled by a vendor.

*This is why libraries need to take a closer look at open source
software.*By removing the "owner" (aka the vendor) from the equation
we get a lot
more freedom to make software that does what we want, how we want, when we
want. One of the hardest thing to teach libraries who are switching to an
open source solution is that the power is now in their hands to direct the
software!

http://opensource.com/education/14/4/top-5-open-source-tools-libraries