[Irtalk] SA’s shocking ICT skills ranking

Hussein Suleman hussein at cs.uct.ac.za
Thu Nov 28 15:31:45 SAST 2013

*sigh* yet more doom and gloom.

we rank 70/144 on network readiness (NRI), which is very comparable to
our GDP rankings (adjusted for purchasing power parity).

we rank 102/144 on "ICT skills" because ICT skills are calculated based on:
- math+physics education scores in school
- overall school education system score
- number of people in high school
- adult literacy rate

(see p261 of the report at
http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GITR_Report_2013.pdf)

so, i would interpret this slightly differently. the fact that our NRI
is middle tier while our education system sucks means we are doing one
incredible job at building an industry in spite of these obstacles :)

it could also reflect the reasonable conclusion that ICT skills cannot
always be measured by the variables used in this report!

ttfn,
----hussein

hussein suleman ~ hussein at cs.uct.ac.za ~ http://www.husseinsspace.com