[Irtalk] FW: New Publication: Institutional Digital Repository Benchmarks, 2013 Edition, ISBN 978-157440-238-4
Van der Westhuizen, Ansie
vdwesapj at unisa.ac.za
Tue May 14 09:59:42 SAST 2013
This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.
Here is an announcement that was posted on the Archives mailing list of a new publication that would be useful for most of us.
Ansie van der Westhuizen
Non-commercial Digital Developer
IR Content Management: Collection Development
+27 12 429 3426
mailto:vdwesapj at unisa.ac.za
From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:ARCHIVES-NRA at JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of James Moses
Sent: 23 April 2013 16:53
To: ARCHIVES-NRA at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: New Publication: Institutional Digital Repository Benchmarks, 2013 Edition, ISBN 978-157440-238-4
Primary Research Group has published Institutional Digital Repository Benchmarks, 2013 Edition, ISBN 978-157440-238-4.
This 117 page study presents data from 33 institutions, mostly universities and other colleges, about their institutional digital repositories. The report presents hard data on the holdings of the repositories, and the growth in their stock of journal articles, books, dissertations, images, video and other forms of intellectual property. The study also gives detailed info on budgets and operating costs, including the cost of professional labor, as well as details on what is downloaded from the sites and by whom. These details include data on downloads from within or outside the institution, and by nation of origin of the downloader, among other variables. In addition, the study looks at issues such as marketing the repository, assuring cooperation from faculty, sources of funding, impact on the parent institution’s reputation, growth rates of content and downloading, trends in cataloging and other issues.
Just a few of the report’s many findings were that:
• 54.55% of repositories sampled contain video files.
• 21.1% of the repositories sampled publish an annual report.
• 9.1% of repositories in the sample have their own Facebook site.
• 36.3% of colleges in the sample with more than 25,000 students have formed reciprocal access, development or marketing arrangements with other digital repositories.
• The median number of direct downloads of articles, image files and other forms of intellectual property from the repositories in the sample in the past year was 158,332. The maximum was close to 2,900,000.
• Close to 45% of repository downloads come form scholars and other users within the institution itself.
For further information view our website at www.PrimaryResearch.com.
Contact the list owner for assistance at ARCHIVES-NRA-request at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=archives-nra
More information about the Irtalk