[Irtalk] Fwd: [Dspace-general] Fwd: NEWS RELEASE: DuraSpace Launches Sponsorship Campaign: Invest in Our Digital Future

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue May 7 15:42:14 SAST 2013

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carol Minton Morris <cmmorris at fedora-commons.org>
Date: 7 May 2013 15:36
Subject: [Dspace-general] Fwd: NEWS RELEASE: DuraSpace Launches Sponsorship
Campaign: Invest in Our Digital Future
To: dspace-general at lists.sourceforge.net

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

May 7, 2013

Contact: Carol Minton Morris cmmorris at duraspace.org
Read it online: http://bit.ly/10g4XkX

*Do Your Part to Invest in Our Digital Future: Become a Sponsor of DuraSpace
*

*Winchester, MA*  Today the DuraSpace organization announced the launch of
the 2013 Sponsorship Program encouraging users of DSpace and Fedora
technologies for durable access to invest in our digital future by becoming
DuraSpace sponsors. The annual campaign raises funds to support the
continued advancement of the DSpace and Fedora open source software which
is available free of charge. DuraSpace relies on financial support from the
organizations that directly benefit from using DSpace and Fedora to
continue to meet the changing needs of our communities.

“The challenge of preserving academic content is too great for any one
institution to tackle alone”, says Karin Wittenborg, University Librarian,
University of Virginia. “DuraSpace fosters collaborative activities and
open-source solutions to ensure that knowledge will be accessible to future
generations."

DuraSpace Community Sponsorship information:  http://duraspace.org/sponsors

*Looking into the Future of Fedora and DSpace*

A new Platinum category of sponsorship has been added for members of the
community who are DuraSpace Sponsors and want to contribute directly to the
Fedora Futures (Fedora Futures blog) project.  Platinum sponsors receive
all the benefits of becoming a Gold Sponsor and in addition are represented
on the Fedora Advisory Board.

This community initiative began in late 2012 (read more here) and now has
nine founding sponsors who are providing funds, developers, and oversight
to make significant improvements to the Fedora platform over the next three
years. Other DuraSpace Sponsors have joined the effort to offer similar
support and form an Advisory Board that will influence the ongoing
direction of the work.

A similar DSpace community initiative is underway following the March 2013
DuraSpace Summit meeting. A group of institutional library managers will
create the first draft of a vision and high-level roadmap statement to
inform the future direction of the DSpace project. At the same time a group
of DSpace sponsors will be working on plans for improving governance and
funding.

*Leadership, outreach and strategic partnerships*

The combined benefits of technical leadership, outreach and professional
development, collaborations and strategic partnerships on behalf of
DuraSpace communities have resulted in ongoing development and deployment
of open source technologies that are used to provide durable, persistent
access to digital data. Community collaborators in these efforts include
highly respected academic institutions, government agencies, and scientific
and cultural organizations.

DuraSpace works directly with open source software projects, advocacy
groups and corporate partners to build the capacity to preserve our shared
digital heritage. DuraSpace is an active participant in the Academic
Preservation Trust (APTrust), Digital Preservation Network (DPN),
International Open Repositories Conference, Internet2, and the National
Digital Stewardship Alliance (NDSA).

For more information about what DuraSpace does for the digital access and
preservation communities, visit http://duraspace.org/whatwedoprojects.
Please feel free to contact Michele Kimpton at mkimpton at duraspace.org or
Valorie Hollister, Director of Community Programs at
vhollister at duraspace.org with questions about the DuraSpace 2013 Community
Sponsorship Program.

*About DuraSpace*

DuraSpace (http://duraspace.org) is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit
organization providing leadership and innovation for open technologies that
promote durable, persistent access to digital data. We collaborate with
academic, scientific, cultural, and technology communities by supporting
projects and creating services to help ensure that current and future
generations have access to our collective digital heritage. Our values are
expressed in our organizational byline, "Committed to our digital future."

DuraSpace supported open technology projects provide long-term, durable
access to and discovery of digital assets. DSpace and Fedora are two of the
most widely-used repository solutions in the world with more than fifteen
hundred institutions that use and help develop these open source software
repository platforms.

DuraSpace also provides innovative solutions for the digital preservation
community to meet today’s access and preservation challenges with
subscription services that include DuraCloud <http://duracloud.org>, an
easy and cost effective way to archive, share and manage content in the
cloud and DSpaceDirect <http://dspacedirect.org>, a low-cost, hosted
repository service due to launch in the summer of 2013.

--
Carol Minton Morris
DuraSpace

--
*Hilton Gibson*
Systems Administrator

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
http://library.sun.ac.za
http://scholar.sun.ac.za
http://ar1.sun.ac.za
http://aj1.sun.ac.za