[Irtalk] Some Thoughts on Beyond the Paper | Gobbledygook

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:21:34 SAST 2013

Lastly, I disagree with the notion that today’s publication silos will be
replaced by a set of decentralized, interoperable services that are built
on a core infrastructure of open data and evolving standards — like the Web
itself. I would argue that both scholarly communication and the web in
general have a tendency for centralization, and that scientific
infrastructure needs to be interoperable first and decentralized second.
Without a focus on interoperability the future of scholarly communication
will not be open and in the hands of many, but will be a race to become one
of the dominant players in this new ecosystem, and we might end up with not
1000s of libraries and publishers but just a handful of technology
companies holding the keys to our scientific infrastructure.
http://blogs.plos.org/mfenner/2013/03/28/some-thoughts-on-beyond-the-paper/