[Irtalk] GSE students adopt open access policy for scholarship | Stanford Graduate School of Education

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 13:06:27 SAST 2013

Students vote to make their scholarly articles available for free to
educators, policy makers and the general public
In a move to expand public access to academic research on education issues,
doctoral students at the Stanford Graduate School of Education have voted
in favor of an open access policy to make their scholarly articles
available for free to scholars, educators, policymakers and the public
worldwide.

“By voting overwhelmingly in favor of open access, GSE students are sending
a clear message that the closed model of scholarly communications will need
to change as they enter the professoriate,” said Juan Pablo Alperin, a GSE
doctoral student who introduced the motion to the GSE Student Guild before
the end of the academic year.  “We hope our lead will encourage others —
especially those working in areas of such public importance as education —
to open their research more widely.”

https://ed.stanford.edu/news/gse-students-adopt-open-access-policy-scholarship