[Irtalk] FW: [Dspace-general] Draft Agenda for Open Repositories 2013 DSpace Developers/DCAT Meeting

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Tue Jul 2 08:42:18 SAST 2013

From: dtpalmer [mailto:dtpalmer at hku.hk]
Sent: 01 July 2013 11:05 PM
To: dspace-general at lists.sourceforge.net; irtalk at lists.lib.sun.ac.za; duraspace at lists.lib.sun.ac.za
Cc: dtpalmer; s.moranti at cineca.it
Subject: Re: [Dspace-general] Draft Agenda for Open Repositories 2013 DSpace Developers/DCAT Meeting

Dear All,

Per Hilton's email below, indeed yes, I wish to see ORCID and DSpace-CRIS made core to future DSpace development.

I've been scratching my head wondering how to get more traction for DSpace-CRIS within the DSpace community.  After presenting on this topic at the ALA conference this week in Chicago, I discussed the situation with colleagues here.

Most libraries in the US run DSpace for publications of one sort or another.  Author profile initiatives such as Vivo seem to be moving to depts other than the library.  Then Vivo for author profiles and DSpace for publications will remain separate systems, managed by different depts.

However for most institutions, collecting, describing and contextualizing research objects beyond publications is still blue sky.  Most institutions have not done it yet.  It is an area that libraries, already with a publication respository, could move into very easily now in these early days.  The work we have done for DSpace-CRIS could facilitate.

Hoping for more dance partners,

David Palmer
The University of Hong Kong