[Irtalk] SUNScholar/Digital Preservation/Electronic Archives Preservation Policy - Libopedia

Hilton Gibson hgibson at sun.ac.za
Tue Sep 28 10:59:35 SAST 2010

http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Digital_Preservation/Electronic_Archives_Preservation_Policy

Hi All

I have checked the mailing list archives and it seems this has not been
communicated yet.
You can correct me if I am wrong.

The above link contains information about a possible Electronics
Archives Preservation Policy that was discussed during our workgroup
with members from UJ, UP, UNISA and NRF.
Dr Reggie Raju and Ellen Tise are interested in seeing this possibly
being taken up with CHELSA (http://www.chelsa.ac.za Committee for Higher
Education Librarians of South Africa).
Ina Smith has written a paper regarding digital preservation for the
Library Academy which was very well recieved.
Basically the wiki page tries to answer the following question.
How do we (we, being librarians and IT dept) make available today's
digital information in one hundred years time ?
This task is no different than that of protecting access to printed
information which libraries have been doing very well for the last one
hundred years.
Therefore how do librarians and the IT dept do it for the next one
hundred years using digital technology ?

You are welcome to request an account on the wiki and make your own
contribution. Or you can join one of the mailing lists and comment.

Regards

hg

--
Hilton Gibson
Systems Administrator

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758