[Irtalk] FW: [Dspace-general] DSpace 1.6.1 & 1.7.0 Release Schedules

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Tue May 11 08:54:30 SAST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Donohue [mailto:tdonohue at duraspace.org]
Sent: 07 May 2010 17:45
To: dspace-general
Subject: [Dspace-general] DSpace 1.6.1 & 1.7.0 Release Schedules

All,

The DSpace Developers have two upcoming releases to announce to the
DSpace Community.

DSpace 1.6.1 - Bug fix release
==============================

DSpace 1.6.1 is scheduled for release on Friday, May 21, 2010.

DSpace 1.6.1 is a bug-fix release which will resolve various bugs/issues
that people have noticed in 1.6.0. This release will not introduce any
new features, but will resolve over 20-25 bugs/issues that have been
located since 1.6.0 was released in early March.

The 1.6.1 release is being coordinated by Kim Shepherd of the University
of Waikato in New Zealand. A huge thanks goes out to Kim for helping to
decrease the turnaround of this bug-fix release to the benefit of us all!

Additional information on 1.6.1 can be found on the 1.6.1 Release Notes
page:

http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+1.6.1+Notes

DSpace 1.7.0 - Major Release
=============================

In keeping with our recent decision to set a regular, timed release
schedule, the DSpace Developers have scheduled DSpace 1.7.0 for release
in December 2010.

(Background information about this new release planning decision can be
found in the latest DSpace Newsletter:
http://www.dspace.org/newsletter-newspace/NewSpace-Volume-3-Issue-20.html)

DSpace 1.7.0 will be the next major release of the software, promising
new features and improvements to the platform.

Although the exact features have yet to be finalized, many potential
features are listed on our new 1.7.0 Release Notes page (see below),
along with a tentative release schedule. The 1.7.0 feature list may
change in the coming months and only those features fully completed by
the cut-off date of Oct 22, 2010 will be included in the 1.7.0 release.

http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+1.7.0+Notes

As DSpace 1.7.0 is our first scheduled, "time-based" release, it is
likely that it will include fewer major features than 1.6.0.  However,
scheduling releases will benefit us all as it should decrease the delays
in releasing new features, and increase the transparency of the
development process. The DSpace Developers feel that these benefits will
far outweigh the cost of having fewer major features in a given DSpace
release.  We hope the DSpace Community will also realize the immediate
benefits, which should allow them to receive new features more quickly,
rather than potentially waiting years for the next major release of the
software.

We hope that you are as excited about these announcements as we are!

As always, let us know if there are any questions.

Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace Project
DuraSpace.org