[Irtalk] Dissertation vs Thesis

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Thu Mar 11 08:21:19 SAST 2010

Hi everybody

Would love to hear how you use the following at your institutions and whether all use it consistently throughout SA. According to this newsletter:

" In other words, a thesis is investigated in a dissertation. But often (in South Africa and elsewhere), the word dissertation is used to describe a Master's degree dissertation, while the word thesis is used to describe the Ph.D. dissertation." (Prof Eric Hofstede)

Therefore:

Disseration - Masters
Thesis - PhD

Kind regards