[Irtalk] FW: [SAOUG] Call for Papers: 10th SAOIM, CSIR International Convention Centre, Pretoria, 4th - 5th August 2010 : Reminder
Smith, Ina <email@example.com>
ismith at sun.ac.za
Mon Jan 11 09:00:20 SAST 2010
From: saoug at googlegroups.com [mailto:saoug at googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Christa Fourie
Sent: 08 January 2010 09:03
To: saoug at googlegroups.com
Subject: [SAOUG] Call for Papers: 10th SAOIM, CSIR International Convention Centre, Pretoria, 4th - 5th August 2010 : Reminder
Call for Papers
10th Southern African Online Information Meeting: Past, Present and Future : CSIR International Convention Centre, Pretoria : 4th - 5th August 2010
SAOUG (Southern African Online User Group), SLIS (Special Library Information Specialists) and OSALL (Organisation of SA Law Librarians) are now inviting proposals for papers to be presented at the next SAOIM (Southern African Online Information Meeting) with the theme "Past, Present and Future". The conference theme is a reflection of the commemorative nature of this conference - we will be celebrating the 10th SAOIM and 30th SAOUG anniversaries. In this spirit, the conference organisers would like to extend a special invitation to participate and present papers to all members of the Southern African online community.
SAOIM provides a forum for the exchange of information on current developments, applications and opportunities in the expanding field of online information. As with the previous conferences, the aim of the 10th SAOIM is to provide insight into the exciting extent of growth and activity taking place in the information industry. Coverage will include not only the traditional online systems and services, but also latest areas of information transfer and exchange.
Conference papers are sought in all areas related to online information, including but not limited to, the following:
* The Semantic web
* Web 2.0 tools: Transforming the workplace
* Moving towards Web 3.0 and cloud computing
* Mobile technology
* Virtual research environments
* Enterprise or web content management
* Open access publishing
* Digital curation
* Search tools, techniques, strategies and solutions
* Federated search
* Visual search engines
* Searching multimedia content: image, audio and video search
* The changing role of the information professional
* Value addition
* Information literacy
* Embedded librarianship
* Information professionals training: matching skills with workplace needs
* Innovation in libraries
* Next generation libraries
* The use of Open Linked Data services in libraries
* Managing electronic resources in academic and corporate libraries
* Knowledge sharing & collaboration
* Innovative projects
A special session will be dedicated to best practice "show and tell". Come and share your best online practices with colleagues in short (5 minute) sessions - ideal for the young, the new, and the shy, or even those who just don't have time to prepare a longer presentation.
Any aspect of good online practice will be welcome. Whilst priority will be given to contributors on the suggested themes, presentations on other relevant topics will also be considered. All proposals will be evaluated by a joint panel of SAOUG, SLIS and OSALL members in a blind review. Proposals will be judged on their relevance to the online information field as well as on the strength of the idea and potential member interest. All applicants will be notified of a decision, however, the decision of the selectors is final and no correspondence with regard to acceptance or rejection of submitted papers will be entered into.
Submission guidelines and specifications
* Concise papers (15 minutes maximum) based on practical experience or practical applications of information technology are preferred. Supporting and supplementary detail may be included in the complete, written paper.
* Due to time constraints only one presenter per paper will be allowed.
* As this is an international event, papers must be presented in English.
* Should you wish to present a paper, please submit your 250 word abstract together with the following details via e-mail to Glenda.Myers at wits.ac.za<mailto:Glenda.Myers at wits.ac.za> by no later than 3 May 2010:
- Company / Institution / Affiliation
- Telephone (W) and fax numbers
- Cell phone number
- E-mail address
- Date of submission
* Should your paper be provisionally accepted you will be asked to submit the complete paper in machine readable format to janet.zambri at wits.ac.za<mailto:Janet.Zambri at wits.ac.za> by 1 July 2010 at the latest.
Satellite events, including pre- and post-conference seminars, workshops and exhibitions will be held to maximise the benefit delegates will derive from attending the formal sessions on the 4th-5th August 2010. Please contact the Meeting Organiser, Rina du Toit, rdutoit at yebo.co.za, should you be interested in the following:
* Exhibiting during the conference, 4th-5th August 2010
* Providing sponsorship
* Presenting events such as training courses, workshops and tutorials on the 3rd August, the day prior to the conference. (Please enclose a brief outline of the proposed event.)
* An opportunity to present product reviews or workshops will be given to exhibitors, service providers and publishers on the 6th August. (Please enclose a brief outline of the product review / workshop.)
Full details of keynote speakers, papers, exhibitors, workshops, seminars and product reviews will be distributed closer to the conference
saoug meetings organiser
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the Irtalk