[Irtalk] FW: [Dspace-tech] DSpace 1.6.0RC2 Release, Testathon, and upcoming schedule

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Tue Feb 9 18:30:41 SAST 2010

Please participate ....

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Donohue [mailto:tdonohue at duraspace.org]
Sent: 09 February 2010 18:22
To: dspace-general; dspace-tech
Subject: [Dspace-tech] DSpace 1.6.0RC2 Release, Testathon, and upcoming schedule

All,

We have a few big announcements regarding 1.6.0 this week!

*1.6.0 RC2 Release*

Later this week, we will be making DSpace 1.6.0 Release Candidate 2
(RC2) publicly available.  An official announcement will be sent out
once it is available for download (likely Weds evening / Thurs morning).

DSpace 1.6.0 RC2 resolves bugs/issues that were found in the 1.6.0 RC1
release (back in December).  The DSpace developers feel that this RC2
release is much more stable and much closer to a final 1.6.0 release.

*1.6.0 RC2 Testathon: Feb 15-19, 2010*

However, to ensure we've located and fixed all the major bugs, we'll be
having a second Testathon next week (Feb 15-19, 2010).  As in December,
several members of the DSpace community will host public instances of
1.6.0 RC2 for you to sign onto and put 1.6 through its paces. You will
also be able to download the latest RC2 release locally to perform a
test installation or test upgrade.

More information will be forthcoming on our 1.6.0 Testathon page:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Testathon

Again, we'd encourage anyone and everyone to help in the Testathon.  Any
time you can provide (even just 10-15 minutes) can help us ensure that
DSpace 1.6.0 is one of the best releases yet!

*Upcoming Release Schedule*

As I mentioned, the DSpace Developers believe that things are much more
stable in 1.6.0 RC2.  Assuming the bugs are minor or minimal in next
week's Testathon, we feel that we're only a few weeks away from the
1.6.0 final release.  Here's our revised release schedule:

* Feb 10/11: Release 1.6.0 RC2
* Feb 15-19: Testathon of 1.6.0 RC2
* Feb 22-26: Resolve any issues from Testathon (hopefully all minor)
* March 1: Release 1.6.0 Final

Again, the above release schedule is tentative and is based on the
results of the 1.6.0 RC2 Testathon.  However, we feel confident that
1.6.0 will finally be in your hands at the beginning of March.

Thanks in advance for all your help!  We are all excited to finally be
in the home stretch for 1.6.0!

Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace Project
DuraSpace.org