[Duraspace] Revisiting: On the Likelihood of Academia “Taking Back” Scholarly Publishing | The Scholarly Kitchen

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Wed May 13 11:43:22 SAST 2015

*What does this boil down to?* My sense is that, for better or worse, *we
are unlikely to see a major shift in academic journal publishing out of the
commercial sector and into the academic one anytime soon*. Not because
there aren’t downsides to the existing system, but because those who are
freest to make meaningful decisions (authors and publishers) are the ones
least likely to find fault with things as they are now and unlikely to see
great value in either taking on (authors) or giving up (publishers) the
roles that have accrued to them over the past few centuries. *I may well be
wrong. I guess we’ll see.*

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2015/05/13/revisiting-on-the-likelihood-of-academia-taking-back-scholarly-publishing/#comment-153495