[Duraspace] The Conversation to launch in Africa | Journalism.co.za

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 09:59:51 SAST 2015

“It’s about taking the fact-based, research-based information that is
currently circulated in small communities and predominantly academic
institutions and sharing this with the public,” Southey told
Journalism.co.za last week.

“For me, the beauty of the model is its simplicity because you’re taking
basic journalistic skills – editing skills and having a nose for stories –
and combining that with this very deep pool of knowledge. It is the
combination of these two that I think is what’s magical about the site.

“I think the reason the site has been so successful is that it taps into
two needs: 1). The need of the academics to share their knowledge and get
their work into the public domain and 2). A hunger on the other side to
have access to this knowledge and insight.

http://www.journalism.co.za/blog/conversation-launch-africa/