[Duraspace] Internet Pioneer Warns Our Era Could Become The 'Digital Dark Ages' : The Two-Way : NPR

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 22:51:15 SAST 2015

Engineering and Technology Magazine reports that Cerf, speaking at the
annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
in San Jose, says that by using digital storage for all of our books,
documents and photos, we could be setting up a big problem for future
historians who want to study the 21st century.

*"If we're thinking 1,000 years, 3,000 years ahead in the future, we have
to ask ourselves, how do we preserve all the bits that we need in order to
correctly interpret the digital objects we create?," Cerf said.*

"We are nonchalantly throwing all of our data into what could become an
information black hole without realizing it," he said.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/02/13/386000092/internet-pioneer-warns-our-era-could-become-the-digital-dark-ages