[Duraspace] Fwd: [SCHOLCOMM] Dream Institutional Repository Project #DIRP

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 23:33:41 SAST 2015

FYI.

*Hilton Gibson*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
Stellenbosch University Library
http://staff.lib.sun.ac.za/~hgibson/docs/cv/cv.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vandegrift, Micah <mvandegrift at fsu.edu>
Date: 2 June 2015 at 22:32
Subject: [SCHOLCOMM] Dream Institutional Repository Project #DIRP
To: "scholcomm at lists.ala.org" <scholcomm at lists.ala.org>

 Colleagues,

 We’ve got a really brilliant Tech-Web Dev team here at Florida State, of
which my pal Bryan Brown <https://twitter.com/bryjbrown> had a good idea.

 IR’s as we know them have traditionally been defined by functionality of
the software that they run on. What if we approached IRs by what we want
them to be/do, then mold the (open source) software to be that?

 Thus, the Dream Institutional Repository Project (DIRP). Click this here
link
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uingCca1CgsMyWNdVy5AqdmfFDVQH9gHgWQUYJw06-w/edit?usp=sharing>
and start throwing your ideas in the hat. What do you wish your IR could
do? What functions or specs would make it awesomer? Which features are you
waiting for that would make your work easier, but haven’t been baked into
the new release of your platform yet? What would systems on your campus do
you wish the IR could integrate with? Feel free to send ideas to me if you
don’t feel comfortable posting them yourself.

 In light of recent happenings in the battle against IRs, seems we have the
opportunity to keep pushing and dig deeper into the scholarly communication
ecosystem.

 A saying we toss around after productive meetings – Takes teamwork to make
a dream work.

 Work that IR Dream, Team!!

 Micah V.

 PS. Nominating myself for most creative/fun emails on the SCHOLCOMM list.
We all need some chuckles in this line of work.