[Duraspace] The big grants, the big papers: are we missing something? | Opinion | Times Higher Education

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:51:54 SAST 2015

The system of valuing high-impact publications and expensive grants has
rewarded those who achieve these goals, and who have a vested interest in
perpetuating the status quo. *In effect, we may be driving out the very
people we need to retain: those who are interested in science as an end in
itself, rather than as a way of achieving personal advancement.*

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/comment/opinion/the-big-grants-the-big-papers-are-we-missing-something/2017894.article