[Duraspace] BBC News - Google's Vint Cerf warns of 'digital Dark Age'

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:05:46 SAST 2015

"I worry a great deal about that," Mr Cerf told me. "You and I are
experiencing things like this. *Old formats of documents that we've created
or presentations may not be readable by the latest version of the software
because backwards compatibility is not always guaranteed.*

"And so what can happen over time is that even if we accumulate vast
archives of digital content, we may not actually know what it is."

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31450389

*​Also see:
​http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Preservable_Digital_Objects
<http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Preservable_Digital_Objects>*