[Duraspace] Listening to Lessig - Scholarly Communications @ Duke

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 11:42:31 SAST 2015

Thinking about this unity-behind-diversity in the messages about political
corruption, net neutrality and open access set me thinking about the way my
colleagues and I frame our advocacy for the last of those items, open
access to scholarship.  Our messages, I think, tend to focus on incremental
change, on the benefits to individual scholars, and on not rocking the
academic boat too much.  *Lessig reminded me that there are good reasons to
rock a little bit harder.  Publishing in toll access journals and
neglecting open access options or additional means of dissemination is not
just short-sighted.  It is dumb, and it is harmful.  We need to say that
occasionally.*

http://blogs.library.duke.edu/scholcomm/2015/04/01/listening-to-lessig/