[Duraspace] Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Open Access Policy - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:28:44 SAST 2014

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is committed to information sharing and
transparency. *We believe that published research resulting from our
funding should be promptly and broadly disseminated*. We have adopted an
Open Access policy that enables the unrestricted access and reuse of all
peer-reviewed published research funded, in whole or in part, by the
foundation, including any underlying data sets.

As of January 1, 2015 our Open Access policy will be effective for all new
agreements. During a two-year transition period, publishers will be
permitted to apply up to a 12 month embargo period on the accessibility of
the publication and its underlying data sets. This embargo period will no
longer be allowed after January 1, 2017.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/how-we-work/general-information/open-access-policy