[Duraspace] 5 tips to run a sustainable digital preservation project | CILIP

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:53:24 SAST 2014

Preserving digital data for the long term is a complex business that
requires sustained activity. It needs to be embedded in an organisation
with a dedicated budget and applied as a business as usual activity.

Unfortunately we're a long way from this ideal, and a lot of digital
preservation work is dependent on external grant funding. Transient
projects can all too easily produce transient outputs, so how can we make
sure the results are more effective and more sustainable?

This blog post expands on some of the lessons I've learned about impact and
sustainability that I presented in a recent conference poster. They are
based on digital preservation work but certainly have applicability way
beyond the preservation field.

http://www.cilip.org.uk/cilip/blog/5-tips-run-sustainable-digital-preservation-project