[Duraspace] The Impact Factor of journals converting from subscription to open access - BioMed Central blog

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 18:44:06 SAST 2014

January’s piece about the Impact Factor trend of established journals that
had joined BioMed Central’s portfolio of open access publications generated
considerable interest. We asked whether there was an open access citation
effect to observe, and whether the findings had implications for an
editorial strategy? The answer we found was ‘yes’ to both questions.

​*Very clear evidence of an increase in impact factor after changing to an
open access model.​*