[Duraspace] The Ugly Truth About Library Websites | Fail!lab

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:32:52 SAST 2014

The world’s ugliest websites are not library websites. But we’re not far
behind.

In the course of my work, I scan some pretty dismal exemplars of this
tragic state of affairs. But let’s be frank, we’re not talking about a few
bad apples. Bad websites are the norm for libraries.

Now, I won’t draw attention to specific offenders (we’re all guilty to some
degree after all) as I really want to focus on what goes into good library
design. Nor will I indulge my first impulse to drop a few
old-school animated GIFs onto this post to illustrate my point in 16-bit
fashion. Let’s keep this civil. No need to induce any migraines or sore
feelings.

*But in order to highlight the best design approaches to common library
problems, we need to first call out the number one cause of usability
disasters in the library world*

http://faillab.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/the-ugly-truth-about-library-websites/