[Duraspace] Will the traditional journal subscripton model make a comeback? | Leadership: The Blog

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:09:01 SAST 2014

The other day my good friend Kent Anderson’s blog post on the Scholarly
Kitchen “Hiding in Plain Sight — Is the Subscription Model the Optimal
Business Model for the Digital Age?” is spot on as he sites several
companies and industries that thrive successfully on the subscription
model.  However the scholarly publishing industry has experienced
significant growing pains and struggles going back to the eighties with the
subscription model as the publishers increased their prices significantly
due to changes in currencies, subscription cancellations, additional pages,
etc.   I thought it would be useful to provide some further insights on
this topic
​
​
.