[Duraspace] Academic Journals: The Most Profitable Obsolete Technology in History | Jason Schmitt

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 19:32:18 SAST 2014

*There is no reason an academic publisher should have such a significantly
different economic picture from standard publishers. The stark contrast is
troubling as it tells just how far from reality our higher education system
has traversed.* Correspondingly, there is no reason universities should pay
$3.5 million to have access to peer-reviewed data. This academic
conversation is society's conversation--and it is time that the digital
revolution level one last playing field: because we, the people, deserve
access.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-schmitt/academic-journals-the-mos_1_b_6368204.html