[Duraspace] Thomson Reuters: we’ll take your articles if you don’t tell us not to - MediaNama

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:14:32 SAST 2014

We received an email from Thomson Reuters last evening, informing us that
unless we write back to them in 14 days denying them the use of our
articles, they will take the lack of refusal, as an indication of consent
to use them. What’s more, they will presume that we have given them the
“right to use, incorporate and distribute the Content in its Services to
its subscribers and to permit such subscribers to use and redistribute the
Content.”

*This is unprofessional and unethical of Thomson Reuters: A lack of refusal
to consent does not amount to giving consent, and I doubt that this
rationale will hold up in the court of law.​*
​

http://www.medianama.com/2014/08/223-thomson-reuters-well-take-your-articles-if-you-dont-tell-us-not-to/