[Duraspace] UBUNTU functionality as a Windows Application

Sherwyn Mack s.mack at saiab.ac.za
Mon Sep 28 14:56:45 SAST 2009

Hi All

I don't know how many of us know where to find Portable Ubuntu (or what it is), I know some of the guys were talking about it at the workshop. Here are two links, the first is to an explanatory video, the second is the sourceforge URL where you can download Portable Ubuntu. It's a pretty big download, so I let it run after-hours.

http://lifehacker.com/5195999/portable-ubuntu-runs-ubuntu-inside-windows
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableubuntu/

I thought it was pretty useful as I don't have a spare computer to run Ubuntu on all the time and I need to work on Windows.

Sherwyn

*****PS.
Its called "portable" for a reason. It wouldn't work from my C:\, I put it on a flash drive and it worked right away. It needs to be a pretty big flash drive though, like the UP ones supplied to the workshop attendees :)
Thanks UP. At the next conference, maybe portable hard drives? Laptops are pretty handy too...